Early photo of the Kings Mountain Battlefield Monument. The image is a sepia toned postcard showing two adults (possibly D.E. Finley and E.Y Webb) standing beside the moment. The first monument at the Battle Site was only 28 feet high. In 1909 SC Congressman D.E Finely and NC Congressman E.Y Webb lobbied to save the battlefield from disrepair and neglect. This also secured the funding for a new 90 foot high obelisk at a cost of 30.000 dollars. On October 8-7, 1909 people gathered at the battlefield for a two day celebration and unveiling of the monument.