An 1896 ledger from the W.S. Clark store. The store, started by William Samuel Clark (1846-1923) was a business that operated in Tarboro from the 1870s through the 1980s as a general store and by the 1950s operated as a department store selling everything from furniture to clothing and groceries. It was continued by his sons for over 50 years after he died. These ledgers were donated to Edgecombe College by his grandson Clark Jenkins. They contain transactions of the types of goods people purchased, as well as the prices of items, and indicate when customers made weekly or monthly payments on their accounts.