Four-year-old Louis Silverstein was the son of Benjamin Silverstein who came to Charlotte in 1893. The Silverstein's and their seven children lived in a large house on Graham Street. Benjamin helped establish the first Jewish congregation in 1895. This photo was taken by Henry Baumgarten, Charlotte�s first commercial photographer, who was also Jewish. He opened his studio, The Photo Gallery, at 7 W. Trade Street around 1869. Baumgarten was also one of the founders of the Hebrew Cemetery.