Loading the player...


Interview conducted with Stanley Wilson Moore as part of the Nash County Cultural Center’s Oral History Project. A white man, Moore was born Nov. 7, 1918 on a farm in Red Oak. He says his parents had 4 children together, and his father had 7 children from a previous marriage. Moore discusses his mother, Savannah Cockrell, and her love for Duke sports. He tells stories about his aunt, Mary Thurston, and his uncle, Chris Cockrell. Moore reflects on his sisters, Maple and Mollie, dating Randolph Deans; and the ways he and his half-brother, Willie, pranked Deans. He talks about his wife, Ruth; meeting in elementary school, dating in high school, and getting married when she was 19 and he was 20. He mentions their son, Stanley Alan Moore, daughter-in-law, Claudia Bryan, and granddaughters, Allison and Meredith. He also mentions he and Ruth had three children who did not live. Moore reflects on his first job away from the family farm, making $8/week in 1937 working as an usher at the Canter Theater in Rocky Mount. He talks about working for W.R. Deans, buying him out, and running a grocery/hardware store/meat market until 1981 when he sold the business to his son. He talks about his interest in radio; mentions taking a correspondence course by mail after high school, receiving a certificate from the Nashville Radio Institute, and a radio course taught by NC State University. He details enlisting in 1942 during WWII with the intent to join the Army Signal Corps. He discusses radio and radar trainings at Ft. Monmouth, NJ and Camp Murphy, FL, and training to use FM (frequency modulation), which was unknown at the time. Describes the difference between AM and FM signals, and why FM technology was critical to communication security. He was assigned to a staging base in New Guinea prior to the invasion of the Philippines, where he recalls seeing Gen. Douglas MacArthur on a daily basis. Moore says his unit was handling communications for the entire Southwest Pacific from General Headquarters, and were being protected by the Marines 1st Cavalry Division. He describes the fighting as rough, and remembers seeing Japanese bombers every night while the invasion took place. He recounts a bomb hitting a bunker he was in, then waking up several days later in a hospital with a concussion. Moore talks about his hospital stays before being reassigned to Camp Crowder, MO and then Ft. Riley, KS. He describes living with his wife in a run down boarding house in Kansas, before being discharged in 1946 due to malaria.





Downloads Statistics

Download Full History