Preview

Description

The county constructed a new courthouse and jail in 1909 on the southeast side of the square partially on the site of the Davie Hotel, purchased from Gaston Horn for $4,000. Many community events transpired on the upper floor of the new courthouse, like the Chautauqua, three nights of entertainment by actors who traveled to Mocksville. Louise Stroud wrote of another time when sheets and quilts covered the upstairs floors and a large number of children had their tonsils removed on the same day. (Courtesy of Jack Pennington.)

Details

Actions

Comments

from
to
Download
Action Filename Size Access Description License