The First United Methodist Church organized in 1833 with the Rev. Charles P. Moorman as the first pastor. Built in 1895, the present church enlarged in 1918 and 1930. Early church leaders included Jesse A. Clement, Mark D. Armfield, Braxton Bailey, John McRorie, Baxter Clegg, Jacob Eaton, A.G. Carter, Shadrack Fitzgerald, and Henry R. Call. The church housed the first sessions of the Davie County Court from 1837 to 1839 during construction of the courthouse.