First Baptist Church of Mocksville organized in 1864 with ten charter members and Moses Baldwin as the first pastor. The original white frame church, taking the congregation more than two years to build, had a front door, four windows on each side, and two windows on each end. A wood stove and kerosene lamps in wall brackets provided heating and light. The sparse interior consisted of three sections of pews divided by two side aisles, two amen corners facing the pulpit, a table and a horsehair-upholstered sofa donated by Mrs. James F. Martin, and the organ. The first decade saw services conducted on a monthly basis since the preacher served several area churches. A Sunday School commenced in the courthouse in 1872.