The Davie Record began in 1899 with attorney E.H. Morris as editor and publisher. The paper espoused Republican views. In 1900 C. Frank Stroud began working for the paper as typesetter and printer; in 1908 he purchased the paper. In 1922 E.H. Morris was editor and publisher of a monthly newspaper, The Crusader. Morris had also served as postmaster when the post office was in the Weant building; the Record office adjoined the post office.