On May 11, 1877, Capt. W. A. Clement proposed an annual picnic sponsored by the Mocksville Masonic Lodge with proceeds going to the Oxford Orphanage. The Shoals in Cooleemee hosted the first five Masonic Picnics (1878-1882) with entertainment consisting of boating, swimming, fishing, ball games, and dinners. The first year collected $35 for the orphanage. In 1883 the picnic moved to Clement Grove in Mocksville.