In 1941, the US Navy needed a way to patrol enemy submarines off the coast. Before blimps patrolled, German submarines were destroying vessels every other day. After the Navy dispatched a blimp squadron from its Weeksville Naval Air Station, which operated from June 8, 1942 until June 30, 1957, the number dropped to one every 75 days. Patrolling blimps were a reassuring sight. Photo courtesy of the Outer Banks History Center, D. Victor Meekins Collection.