Old Trap High School was built with community funding and housed grades one through eleven until 1928, when grades eight through eleven began riding a bus to Shiloh. There were four classrooms downstairs and an auditorium and two classrooms upstairs. Effie Hoffler was the principal when the school closed in 1931. The structure was destroyed by fire in the late 1930s. Later, when the boys' brick outhouse began to crumble, Willard Forbes rebuilt it. Forbes and Alvin Stapes saw to it that a historical marker for Old Trap High School was put in place before they both passed away. Photo courtesy of the Outer Banks History Center, D. Victor Meekins Collection.