The Davie Grays Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy organized in 1930 with 20 members. The chapter chose as its name the Davie County Confederate regiment commanded by Jesse A. Clement. In 1933, the UDC held its fourth district meeting in Mocksville. The Davie Grays ladies, under the leadership of their president Mary Heitman, opened the doors of the Masonic Hall and entertained more that 100 UDC daughters from across North Carolina. Throughout its history, the members of this chapter supported many local charities in Mocksville. The chapter disbanded in 1990 after 60 years and ranked as one of the oldest chapters in North Carolina.