In 1928, E. Pierce Foster and J.P. Green established a cotton gin on Salisbury Street on property originally belonging to the Clement estate. During the first year of operation the site ginned 1,200 bales of cotton, increasing to 2,200 bales over the next three to four years. At the death of J.P. Green, Pierce Foster purchased full interest in the operation. In 1950, the Foster Cotton Gin moved from its location in town to the Salisbury highway. The photograph below shows six men standing from left to right: unidentified, J.P. Green, unidentified, Grady Sain, E. Pierce Foster, and unidentified.