Founded by E. H. Morris, the first copy of the Davie Record was printed on April 1, 1899. Morris sold the newspaper to C. Frank Stroud on November 27, 1908. Stroud published the newspaper for 49 years. The Davie Record merged with the Mocksville Enterprise in 1957. The photograph shows C. Frank Stroud and Julia Marmaduke "Duke" Sheek, the printer's devil, setting the lead letters by hand in the newspaper offices.