This photograph, taken by Archie Holbrook from the courthouse steps, shows the town square prior to the oak trees that still exist today. A brass Gatling gun originally stood in the grass circle nearest the courthouse. Southern Bank and Trust Company operated in the large white building during the 1920s. Note the vacant lot to the left of the Mocksville Hotel in the northwest corner of the square. In 1934, the town supervisor, Hugh Lagle, and Ben Boyles drove out to a property along U.S. 158 and dug up four oak trees which they then planted in the square. A plaque now commemorates their planting.