The Bonitz Hotel was built circa 1863 by J.H. William Bonitz, a German immigrant. Bonitz sold the hotel in 1879 to Messrs. Merrett and Bungting of Wilmington. It burned later that year and Mr. Bonitz chose to rebuild a larger and more elaborate hotel to replace it. It was located at 206 E. Center St., on the southeast corner of Center and Chestnut streets. He and his wife Mary administered the new hotel until it was traded for land in 1884 to Dr. George L. Kirby, who renamed it the Arlington. The hotel stayed in operation until 1915 and the building was known by this name until 1920.