The mill organized the band with 20 members in 1917, providing uniforms and instruments. A.A. Hartman served as the first director, followed by Joe Nance, Ernest Fritz, Prof. Shaw, Roberts Mills, and Floyd A. Nail. The band performed for Christmas, 4th of July, picnics, and other amusements in the mill village. Some members later played with other bands, such as Wake Forest College, Clark Brothers Circus, Ringling Brothers Circus, and Sousa.