The Hotel Mocksville opened in 1934. Owned and operated by J. Arthur Daniel, the only hotel in town had 22 rooms. With business strong, Daniel added a third floor in 1935. Traveling salesmen chose to stay at the hotel because of its good food. Chairs lined the sidewalk, allowing guests to enjoy the cooling evening air before retiring to their rooms at night.