Flyer advertising J. H. Hampton Buggy Co. "Home Spun" buggies, surreys and hacks. Printed by Hancock-Harvey Co., Inc. Printers, Lynchburg, Va. The Hampton Buggy Co. was organized in 1879 by J. H. Hampton, founder, his son W. W. Hampton, D. F. King and J. M. Hopper. The factory consisted of 3 buildings on Washington St. in Leaksville (now Eden, NC). About 1000 buggies, hacks and surreys were built here every year and sold to customers throughout NC, SC and VA. The company employed 35 men, most spending much of their life working for the company. Sales began to fall off around the start of WWI. In 1919 the factory stopped building buggies, but continued to maintain a repair shop and assemble an occasional buggy from parts on hand. The last buggy was sold in 1927.