Preview

Description

Newspaper article with a photograph of Water and King Streets intersections. Shows Methodist Church and Jail.
Transcription: A QUIET VILLAGE -- Imagine, one of Boone's busiest intersections: Water and King streets. Here's how it looked about 75 years ago. The picture was made sometime between 1897 and 1904, the first date being established by the presence of the Boone Methodist Church (the steepled white building at left), and the second being established by the absence of the courthouse which was built in 1904 on the land where the present one stands. Another interesting historical note is the two-story brick building in the foreground. In 1880, one William Stephenson of Mayesville, Ky., constructed this jail for the county commissioners at a cost of $5.000. As the oldest public building still standing in the county, the handsome old structure is now the home of Mrs. Ethel Wyke. Its location is on South Water Street, directly behind Heilig-Myers Furniture Store.

Details

Files

Action Filename Size Access Description License
Show more files...

Actions

Comments

from
to
Download Full History