Local tradition holds that Jesse Pearson built the house prior to 1823, but deed records provide no confirmation. Pearson lived in Rowan County prior to 1815, when he returned to Mocksville with his second wife, Elizabeth Wilson, and occupied "The Oaks," a plantation south of Mocksville that was part of his wife's dowry. At this time the house on Salisbury Street was built. Later owners include Dr. James F. Martin and Rev. Henry Clay Sprinkle, married to Annie Van Eaton Call Sprinkle.