The church was constituted on December 29, 1878 with 39 members at a meeting held at the Union Academy building. On January 4, 1879, Elder R. W. Crews was chosen as the first pastor. The church joined the South Yadkin Association in August 1879. The building committee selected a site for the church in 1881. In June of 1882, the congregation dedicated their new building.