Originally envisioned as a unit of the Mocksville Fire Department, local citizens later decided to create an independent rescue squad, which was chartered in March 1959. Atlas Smoot served as the first chief. Equipment was donated by individuals and organizations in the community. In 1960, county commissioners granted two acres of land from the old County Home property for a building. Construction was completed in 1962. Dr. William M. Long provided training.