Queen Bess Kennen, a native of Indiana, moved to Farmington with her first husband, Sidney Shore. After his death and her re-marriage to W. E. Kennen, they lived at Kennen Krest, a plantation house on 120 acres dating to 1872. Queen Bess was active in Republican Party politics and donated land for the medical center in Farmington. She taught school for 25 years and served as Superintendent of Public Welfare. Her service to the Pino Grange was recognized in 1951 with the gift of a silver tray.