Local tradition holds that Archibald G. Carter built the office for his son Jesse's medical practice. G. M. Bingham's account books show Carter purchasing medical supplies between 1848 and 1852. Later, the office was used by Dr. James McGuire and also as a law office by E. L. Gaither and R.B. Sanford Jr. It stood originally at the intersection of Gaither and North Main Streets.